It’s hard to believe 2018 is almost over already! Plans for the new year can vary greatly, from a night on the town to a party at your friends’ house to staying in to not celebrating at all. Whatever your plans, we hope you to have a safe, fun start to the new year. To help ensure that, check out these tips:
If you’re going out:
- Plan ahead for rides.
- If you are planning on drinking, either have a designated driver or make sure you have money for a cab or other rideshare. Never drive intoxicated.
- Stay in a group.
- Whether you’re a guy or girl, never go anywhere alone. Keep an eye on everyone in your group throughout the night. Consider having buddies for the night.
- Drink smartly.
- On average it takes your body one hour to process one standard drink, but it varies from person to person. For every drink, make sure you have a glass of water to help your body process the alcohol and stay hydrated.
- If you’re planning on drinking, eat a good meal before you go out. Additionally, snacking throughout the night can help lessen the effect of alcohol.
If you’re hosting:
- Be smart about who you invite.
- If you know someone tends to make a scene, it’s okay to leave them off the invite list. Smaller parties can be just as fun as big ones.
- Skip out on the fireworks.
- Unless you know what you’re doing, these can be dangerous. It’s possible they’re not allowed where you live either. Instead, stick to watching the ones or TV or the ones that might be going off in your town.
- Plan rides home for your guests.
- If there will be alcohol at your party, never allow anyone to drive home intoxicated. You may be held liable if they leave your house and get into an accident. Either find them a ride home or let them stay the night at your house.
If you’re staying at home:
- Have fun!
- Staying at home to celebrate (or not celebrate) is just as fun! Enjoy the evening at home with friends or family!
We hope these tips help you have a fun, safe and enjoyable start to the new year!